A Seasonal Recipe
Here’s a delicious seasonal and festive recipe that will help to up your vegetable and fibre intake.
Chestnut Filled Squash
Gluten free, dairy free, vegan
4 small round squash, halved and deseeded eg: acorn, red kuri or onion squash
4 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
2 stalks of celery, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
225g/8oz mushrooms, chopped
225g/8oz vacuum packed or ready cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
400g can of chestnut puree
2 tsp thyme or mixed herbs
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tbsp hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Place the squash halves on an oven proof dish, score the flesh with a criss-cross pattern and brush with oil. Bake in the oven at gas mark 6/190C for 20-30 minutes until the squash is just soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a pan and fry the onions for 10 minutes.
- Add the celery, garlic and mushrooms and cook until the celery and mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in the chopped chestnuts, chestnut puree, herbs and tamari and enough water to enable the mixture to form a chunky paste that holds together. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the squash is ready remove it from the oven and spoon the mixture into the cavities. Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts on top.
- Return the squash to the oven and turn down the heat to gas mark 4/180C. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve with roasted vegetables, steamed green vegetables and gravy.